Re: Inexpensive way to backup data

 jbk wrote:
> James Kramer wrote:
>> ...a Howto to set up a cron job to do daily backups...
>> http://www.linode.com/wiki/index.php/Backups_with_s3sync
>
> Might be good for some who have a fast link, I'm limited to 160KB/sec
> up, so it would take a week to backup.

Even with a slow link, backing up your critical data - which probably
amounts to only a few tens of megabytes per day - to an off-site
location is a good idea.

At one time there were some online backup services that let you "seed"
the service by sending them CDs through the mail. Then the online
transfers were just used for differentials. I haven't ran across
anything like this in a while. Easier to just partition your data into
critical and non-critical.

For the less critical data, you can occasionally copy it to DVDs or an
external HD and carry it off-site (safe deposit box, take it home or to
your office (whichever is opposite), etc.).

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA