Re: I really prefer Linux over everything else

On Mon, 2008-01-21 at 01:13 -0500, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Sunday 20 January 2008 01:13:52 pm [hidden email] wrote:
> > Hope you don't
> > have a video running. Hope no one else is using it while you want to.
>
> I suppose not. But really, the only applications I typically run remotely are
> command line anyhow, which works just the same on both Linux and Mac OS X.

In my brief experience with the Mac on one engagement, I was annoyed
with how it's command-line console works. It's not quite like KDE at all
-- differences in the keyboard shortcuts, copy and paste, and other
things drove me nuts. Not to mention getting the console windows
perfectly aligned.

Also, for multiple monitors, the Mac behaves in the way Xinerama does on
Linux -- tries to treat all your monitors as though they're one -- with
the obvious annoyance that your desktop bar exists only on one monitor.
It's very annoying to have to drag the mouse across 3 monitors just to
launch another application. Windows also has the failing. Neither
Windows nor Mac give you the option of having a desktop bar on *all*
monitors like XWindows does.

I guess I am used to the way KDE does things, and have customized my
Konsole environment to be attuned to the fact that I may be logged into
various machines remotely. I've written this nice login script that
changes the Konsole Schema on the fly when I log into a remote machine
or even when I run Emacs, and changes it back when I'm done. I'm a
stickler for this because too many times in the past I've accidentally
shut down a production server when I meant to shut down my local
machine!

I suppose it's possible to do something similar on the Mac, but have not
had the time to figure it out. BTW, if anyone's interested in my
automatic Konsole Schema switcher, let me know and I'll make it
downloadable somewhere. There are other examples of this already
available, though.

I do have one nit about Konsole -- whenever I add a new Schema, it seems
to get confused with schemas it's already using and typically will
display the wrong one. Anyone know of how to get around that?

I must confess that 70-90% of my productive KDE use is as a glorified
console manager. The other windows usually have Emacs running in
them! :-)

While we're pounding the pavement with personal preferences and
opinions, perhaps we can get into a Emacs vs. vi debate. I'm a definite
Emacs person and love having some of its advanced features available
when I need them. I know systems types like vi better, but since I have
to do *some* systems, I always try to install Emacs when I can, and only
use vi when I have no option.

I love Emacs' language modes and wouldn't know how to get along without
them. :-) Also, Emacs used to be lauded as a "resource hog" -- but that
was in the days when a Megabyte of RAM was "the sky". Today, I find
Emacs to be far less resource intensive than, say, Eclipse. I used to
play around with Eclipse and other major IDEs in the not-too-distant
past, and I always find they tend to get more in the way than they help,
though they can be VERY helpful with class browsing -- which was the
main feature I used them for. Debugging was a mixed bag-- and in many
cases the debug mode would introduce effects not present during normal
runtime. I find that I can tailor Emacs to do what I want; not what the
IDE wants, and that other IDEs tend to be more limited on the
configurability side of things.

-Fred

believed to be clean.