Re: best method to share a filesystem remotely

 On 1/26/08, Christoph <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm interested in setting up a small filesystem for a family member to
> access both at home and when travelling (with their linux laptop).

Just throwing in another vote for sshfs.

I use it DAILY. I work on a development server for a web application
remotely from my desktop in my office. I've mounted the development server's
C: drive (yes, it's Windows + Cygwin... eew) into ~/mnt/development using
sshfs, and then I link ~/mnt/development/Inetpub/Apps/project into
~/eclipse-workspace/project and I work directly in Eclipse on my local
desktop.

In this case, the "remote" server is at a hosting facility on the other side
of the continent. It's a little sluggish sometimes, but otherwise it works
great. I will warn though that sometimes a desktop app will get a silly idea
and try to do something bandwidth intensive like scan the entire remote
filesystem's directory, locking up sshfs until it's done; in this case, I
have to kill sshfs, remount the share, and close and reopen the project in
Eclipse. YMMV, but SAVE OFTEN and BACKUP OFTEN.

sshfs is great for casual use too because the only server-side requirement
is to have an ssh daemon you can connect to (the server sees you as an
SFTP-over-SSH client, and this capability is built into the SSH daemon.)
Furthermore, if you have FUSE and sshfs installed on the client, mounting is
a single non-root command.

Brendan Kidwell

believed to be clean.