Re: web host

 On 2/9/08, John Boland <[hidden email]> wrote:

> i'm looking for simple web hosting.
>
> any recommendations?  i've used ixweb in the past.  any other
> possibilities?

I strongly recommend Dreamhost < http://www.dreamhost.com/hosting.html >
despite the bad news you've probably heard about them in the last few years
with network outages and last month's billing snafu to end all snafus.

I've been with them for years, and my impression is that they've always
tried to be as transparent as possible. Their free email support makes a few
promises about what they can and can't solve for you, but then they go ahead
and help you with things that aren't their problem to deal with. (For
example, my customized PHP installation broke and I asked them if they'd
done anything interesting on their end; they couldn't point to any
system-wide changes, but took the initiative and did some basic debugging
and suggested some courses of action.) The have a very well populated
open-access wiki that helps you get going with best practices and howto
documents.

For comparison, their cheapest plan (the only one that makes sense for
individuals and small businesses) is $119.40 per year and offer anything you
could expect to get from a shared unix web host: more space and bandwidth
than it's physically possible to use without unfairly hogging the CPU;
mysql; PHP; Ruby; Jabber; Subversion; One-click video conversion for
flash-based streaming playback; full shell access; unlimited number of
sites/domains; and a very nice account Control Panel.

I guess they're not really very "basic", but I can't help expressing my
enthusiasm.

Brendan Kidwell

--
This message has been scanned for viruses and other dangerous content. Be
warned, however, that it may still be dirty.

believed to be clean.