Re: Need C++ tutor for 10th grade student

 On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 15:21:56 -0500
"Samuel Baldwin" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's great that the kid wants to learn, but s/he's probably better off
> financially if they save their money and buy something like Learning
> Perl (or that K&amp;R book about C I have yet to read.)

I have my original version of K&amp;R, pre-ANSI. I learned C on a project
in 1980.
I'm not sure what a good language should be to teach the principles of
good computer programming. C and C++ are good languages, but not good
for teaching. Pascal is a good teaching language but I think that Java
might be better.

One of the important things that need to be presented is how data
structures relate to programming.  When I teach at Northeastern, I also
stress portability. For instance if you save integers and floating
point variables in a binary file, they will be saved in endian format.
Intel and DEC machines are little endian meaning that the least
significant byte is stored first, where Sun and HP systems are big
endian where the most significant byte is stored first. This is also
very important when you are sending data over a comm link. If the
sender is a Linux on Intel and the receiver is a Solaris/sparc, if you
don't format the data properly things won't work.

Additionally, in standard C and C++, size parameters are defined as
size_t. This type will be 32-bits on a 32-bit machine and 64 on a
64-bit machine. If you declare a size variable as an int things may be
messed up. (the Java developers were C people, and they understood
these issues. C was designed to write operating systems with. That is
why on Java a 'long' is always 64-bits).

Jerry Feldman <[hidden email]>
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846