Re: [OT] Most-requested item in Vista

Nicholas Bodley wrote:
> Around maybe 0300 hrs local, I called Speakeasy, thinking I had some
> helpful info for them, for a change. Turned out that I'd outsmarted
> myself. Considering the hour, was chatting with the tech. rep., and he
> volunteered that the most-requested item in Vista is a downgrade to XP.
>
> The next-to-most-recent flyer from Micro Center, fairly sure, had one
> machine that in the summary list of features had downgrade rights to
> XP. The most-recent flyer had about nine such items.
I have not had too many problems with Vista. I think I noted the trouble
I have had right here with you all. IE punks out a bit much, but FireFox
holds up well.
What I do is install (or try to...) the applications I think I want to
use. If I have any issues, it gets un-installed right away and the
offending application goes into the "problems" sub-folder for a while.
If I do not take exception with any application behavior or lack of it,
then after some time (hours/days/weeks depending) it goes into the
"installed" sub-folder.

Applications that did not work right out of the box include PHP (that
was very disappointing!), privoxy, jmoney, etc. The list is not short
and there is no point listing it all. What has worked is

Thunderbird
Netbeans (IDE+ for Java, JavaDB)
OpenOffice (The usual desktop applications)
Compendium (Mind Mapping)
GIMP
FileZilla
FireFox
GoogleEarth
Apache HTTP Server (for local dev/test)
Miro (podcasts video client)
Carbonite (worth the small $ to backup both your somewhat important and
not so important files)
Quicken 2008 (I gave up on the gpl route...)
Norton AntiVirus/Firewall (i know there are freebees - just gotta have
it - it appears to work, and i try to not invite problems, anyway)
R (statistics)
Perl
MySQL
PDFCreator

   (hope this helps)

Additionally, I tried out SecondLife - it seemed to work, and a few
other games and game like applications.

I would be curious to know what problems you and others are actually
having with Vista. The security popups are annoying of course...

I would also like to know about installing some Linux on top of Vista or
along side it. A quick google for "Install Linux on top of Vista" turned up

       http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Linux

I have not tried it so far, though, and I cannot put the time into it
right now.

Regards

--

Alfred Wheeler