Re: open source alternatives to Quicken

 Samuel Baldwin wrote:
> Maybe you weren't looking for 3rd party input on this.

Correct. I was looking for feedback from people who have first hand
experience with the alternatives.

Laura Conrad wrote:
> I used [GnuCash] a few years ago when I was treasurer of the Boston
> Recorder Society.  For just the checkbook stuff, it's pretty good.

OK, thanks.

Certainly GnuCash is one of the oldest and best known alternatives, but
after initial experiences when setting it up for a family member, I
wondered if there was something better.

I have over 30 open source accounting programs bookmarked - a well
represented category - so the potential that something better exists is
good. More specifically, I'm looking for something that is not a
web-based application, yet is cross platform (Linux and Windows), and is
aimed at managing personal finances.