Re: open source alternatives to Quicken

 Hello:

GnuCash rocks.  I have it installed on both a Linux machine and on a
Mac.  I had been using Quicken back in 1995.  Around 2000, I gave
GnuCash a try by taking exporting from Quicken to GnuCash a QIF file.
It set up the accounts straight away.  Entering data, the strength of
"Qick"-en, was not as good, and I was reluctant to move over.  We are
all conservative when it comes to our own money :-)

I had a few issues with Quicken however.  Underneath it all, Quicken
was _not_ a dual entry accounting system.  The system developed by
those monks so many centuries ago was skipped as "too complicated".
It does take a while to understand, but dual entry accounting is the
way all businesses work, and I think should be the foundation of any
accounting software.  Quicken made up its own darn lingo with
categories and all, claiming it is more "user-friendly", and because
they have the money, can get other people to parrot their marketing
words.

I did some online banking, and those folks forced me to upgrade to
Quicken,2000, or maybe it was Quicken2001, or maybe it would be
Quicken.June.2002.  They could force me to change software whenever
they needed more revenue.  Even worse, the underlying data had to be
converted.  I could not stand that "feature" of quicken.

In middle of 2000, my hard drive crashed.  I had not done a good
backup of my windows partition in a while, but I did have the data
from 6 months ago in GnuCash.  They had a new version, so I installed
it.  I was _so_ impressed with the amount of progress that they had
made in that small time frame.  It was clear that data entry was just
as quick, if not quicker, for GnuCash as for Quicken.  Type things in
partially, it fills in the rest, depending on the last thing typed in.
 At the end of the month, I make a cash flow statement.  That is about
all I need.

Setting up a GnuCash ledger from a QIF file should be straightforward.
 With computers, there are always changes for complications.  I
vaguely recall having a problem with a data file on on GnuCash
upgrade, writing their newsgroup, and being told to open up the data
file, and make a specific change to a pair of tags.  This kind of
tweak happened only one in 8 years, but was neat that I could get it
done.

GnuCash really feels like solid software - not crashing, doing backups
every 10 munites (my preference), making data entry fast.  The
community is alive, and is international, so development will
continue.  Yet if I want to keep on using an old one, I can.

Doug

believed to be clean.