Re: open source alternatives to Quicken

On Mon, 2008-02-18 at 07:10 -0500, Doug wrote:
> GnuCash rocks.

I second this.  I've been monitoring the devel list for this thing since
the 'cbb' days and actually moved in for real about a year ago.

Don't let the 'double-entry' thing scare you.  When I was ready to jump
I started a file with some dummy accounts and popped open the online
manual and read The Whole Thing.  What double entry means is that money
doesn't just magically appear and disappear.  Instead of this sloppy
concept of 'categories' you have 'accounts'.  After a couple of sessions
you'll wonder what all the fuss is about.

There are downsides: it journals way too much for my taste.  I've also
never had the patience to work out the use of OFX/QIF import from my
bank.  The graphing and reporting stuff lags developmentally.  I've yet
to get the kind of monthly chart of net worth trend line against assets
and liabilities that was fairly straightforward in Quicken.  The way
splits are done in the context of double-entry will take some careful
concentration for a few sessions until you learn to accept the metaphor.

Being on it for a year after 10 years of Quicken and I've never had it
crash or mess me up, and I one of those guys that records *everything*.

ccb
--
Charles C. Bennett, Jr. <[hidden email]>

believed to be clean.