Forwarding ports via ssh

 Thanks for reading this.

I have a corporate laptop running xp, which needs virus updates and POP
mail from the corporate server that runs nt. I need help to get an ssh
tunnel running.

Here's the setup:

 _______________________
|                       |
 -----------------------     |

 _______________________     |
|                       |  <<
| Debian 192.168.10.90  |
 -----------------------   >>

 _______________________    |
|      NAT Router       |  <<
| Speakeasy Fixed IP    |
| LAN addr 192.168.10.1 |
-----------------------   >>

 _______________________    |
|                       | <<
|      Cloud            |
 -----------------------   >>

 _______________________     |
|      NAT Router       |  <<
| Comcast Dynamic IP    |
| LAN addr 10.0.0.254   |
| Port 22 forwards      |
|   to 10.0.0.175       |
 -----------------------   >>

  _______________________    |
|                       |  <<
| Debian 10.0.0.175     |
 -----------------------   >>

  _______________________    |
|                       |  <<
| NT Server 10.0.0.2    |
 -----------------------

I can ssh into the debian box at the corporate site with no problems.
However, when I use

ssh -L 40110:10.0.0.2:110 <Comcast dynamic ip>

... from the Debian box on my local lan, it sets up an ssh session to
the Debian box on the corporate LAN as if I hadn't entered any options
at all. The port doesn't appear to forward into the remote lan: when I
attempt to retrieve email using the Thunderbird client on the laptop, it
gives an error saying that "Could not connect to server 192.168.10.90:
the connection was refused."

I have Thunderbird set to use port 40110 with server 192.168.10.90, so I
think that part is correct: I get the same result when I attempt to

telnet localhost 40110

... on the Debian box - "Unable to connect to remote host: connection
refused".

All suggestions welcome.

Bill Horne

believed to be clean.