Re: Forwarding ports via ssh

 Bill Horne wrote:
> I _CAN_ telnet to localhost 40110
> from the command prompt in my Debian box, and it _DOES_ get to the POP
> server at the remote site.
>
> I _CANNOT_ telnet to port 40110 on the Debian box from the laptop's DOS
> prompt: I get "connection refused" errors.

See the ssh man page. The description for -L notes:

   -L [bind_address:]port:host:hostport
     By default, the local port is bound in accordance with the
     GatewayPorts setting.  However, an explicit bind_address may be used
     to bind the connection to a specific address. The bind_address of
     ``localhost'' indicates that the listening port be bound for local
     use only, while an empty address or '*' indicates that the port
     should be available from all interfaces.

That last line is a bit confusing (apparently "empty address" is not the
same as specifying no address), but the gist is that by default the port
forwarding socket is bound to the loopback address.

Try:
ssh -L 192.168.10.90:40110:10.0.0.2:110 <Comcast dynamic ip>

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA