Re: Playing DivX, .avi and other files in OpenSuse 10.x

 Thanks for that info. As it turns out, even though I had installed Xine, MPlayer and Kaffeine, only the last two ended up being at all functional although none worked perfectly and Xine didn't get properly installed on the first pass either. So I went through the SuSe RPMs and found some bits and pieces that were apparently missing, and also redid Xine. Finally, I also discovered that my sound card drivers were either malfunctioning or resetting down to zero output, so I redid those manually. It all works very nicely, and I can now watch those compressed movies over the network. As far as I can tell at the moment, .avi and DivX files all seem to work fine.....

Robert Krawitz <[hidden email]> wrote:    Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 08:09:06 -0800 (PST)
   From: R Hofland

   I've been trying to play a selection of compressed movie clips in
   various formats that run fine in Windows under various players
   including the free DivX versions, but Kaffeine and other installs
   just won't do the job despite updates I've added.

   Any advise as to reliable players or updates I need, or other
   alternatives.

Install the xine and MPlayer bits from the Packman repository
(ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/packman/suse).