Linux sound is too complicated for me

I solved a problem yesterday -- I figured out how to use aconnect to
get my USB MIDI keyboard to play notes that sound through timidity.

This morning, I can't get any sound from YouTube videos.

I don't remember exactly when the last time I played a YouTube video
was, so it's conceivable that it's something else that caused the
problem, but that's the only thing I can remember changing at all
recently.

Normal sound playing from the command line of sound files on my
computer still works fine.

Does anyone understand what YouTube is asking for that my computer
doesn't know how to give it any more?  Or how to debug alsa sound
problems?  I did used to subscribe to a linux audio mailing list, and
they did eventually end up debugging stuff like this, but it wasn't at
all a well-defined science.

--
Laura (mailto:[hidden email] , http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097 fax: (501) 641-5011