Re: re sound problems

 I can't give you specific advice on the packages you installed, but the order of installation may have something to do with your problems. I had installed jackd without problems on one machine but later removed it due to issues with dependencies that may have been caused by the installation of other packages.

Regardless of those issues, it may still be a simple fix if you can find out what was corrupted or reset during an install. As I mentioned, I have learned to first check my sound drivers when the sound disappears-- it usually just needs to have a channel or two turned up, or the whole thing reset and then perhaps readjusting the settings.

Laura Conrad <[hidden email]> wrote: >>>>> "R" == R Hofland  writes:

    R> I'm sure there could be a more technical issue at hand, but I
    R> have found with my Suse installs that the sound drivers somehow
    R> get corrupted when I add new packages that use the drivers.

Thanks, that's it.  In the process of solving my problem yesterday, I
installed a bunch of packages that I vaguely thought might help some
way.  I removed them all, reinstalled flash, restarted firefox, and
youtube is playing fine.

I suppose the virtuous thing would be to reinstall them one-by-one,
and write a problem report on the package that was responsible.   I
think I've had the MIDI keyboard for two years without being energetic
enough to solve the problem of not hearing the sounds (it's a data
entry device, and it entered the data fine; I just didn't have audio
feedback).  So I don't know if I"m going to be energetic enough to
screw my system up again for the sake of writing a bug report.

If anyone's curious, the list of packages was:

   kaconnect jack jackd rosegarden4 lmms vkeybd

vkeybd was actually some use, in demonstrating that it was possible to
connect *something* to a synthesizer.  Jackd is what the conventional
wisdom says should have solved my problem, but I never got it to
connect the keyboard to the synth, whereas aconnect eventually did
exactly what it was supposed to.

Based on the general flakiness factor, I suspect jackd of being what
screwed flash up, since it seemed to ignore quite a number of
conventions for well-behaved programs.

--
Laura (mailto:[hidden email] , http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097 fax: (501) 641-5011