Re: gratuitous use of echo?

 On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 16:54:31 -0500
"Gordon Marx" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Also, going back a couple of posts...where did someone see that
> backticks were deprecated? I've googled around a little and have found
> literally zero authoritative sources.

Actually POSIX (more specifically KSH which essentially became
the POSIX shell) introduced the $(...) to replace the `...`.  Many
books on the shells talk about the backquote or grae accent as being
deprecated, but the documentation for KSH specifically calls the
backquote form "obsolete", but does not deprecate it.  So, let me back
of from my use of deprecated, because both SH, BASH, and KSH the
backquote or grave accent is retained for backward compatibility.