Re: I finally tried kubuntu 7.10. Didn't get very far.

 Try forcing package installations to complete: dpkg --configure -a

If that doesn't fix it, hunt down the lock file.  do a find /var -name
lock.  Make sure a package process is not running, then delete the lock
file.

If that doesn't work, try removing and reinstalling the offending
package(s)... something like

          "dpkg -r | --remove | -P | --purge package ... | -a |
        --pending
                Remove an installed package. -r or --remove remove
                everything except configuration files. This may avoid
                having to reconfigure the package if it is reinstalled
                later. (Configuration files are the files listed in the
                debian/conffiles control file). -P or --purge removes
                everything, including configuration files. If -a or
                --pending is given instead of a package name, then all
                packages unpacked, but marked to be removed or purged in
                file /var/lib/dpkg/status, are removed or purged,
                respectively.

                Removing of a package consists of the following steps:

                1. Run prerm script
                2. Remove the installed files
                3. Run postrm script
          "

(This is my best guess as my ubuntu installation is broken at the
moment.  Just installed Fedora 8, ran into an Anaconda bug (had to
unplug any drives > 15 partitions otherwise the install crashes).

-Randy