Re: Grub Error

 I have been going through similar issues for the past week.  It turned out
to be my hard drive.  Super Grub is a good liveCD to try.
http://supergrub.forjamari.linex.org/

You can boot with the Window XP install disk and when (after a little while)
you are asked something like ' What you want to do?', select "R" for recover
and at the prompt type:
fixmbr.
That should fix the windows master boot record. Then use Super Grub to
reinstall the grub menu.

I installed Ubuntu Hardy on my thinkpad X31 and I was unable to boot
windows.  I was also unable to recover from IBMs built-in recovery button.
I reinstalled both operating systems several times before realizing that it
was the hard drive. After exchanging the hard drive, I loaded Windows XP
(which seems to take forever).  I was not willing to reload it again so when
I installed Hardy and it was at the part of the installation where GRUB
installs, I set it to install to the boot from the Linux partition
(/dev/sda1) (hd0,1).  When I booted, the machine went straight to windows XP
without a grub menu. I then used Super Grub live CD to set the boot
partition to the Linux partition.  And all is well.

I am certain that in the past, I just installed grub to boot from the
default partition at /dev/sda0.  I did not want to chance it so I did as
described above.  Question:  In a dual boot WinXP/Linux can you install the
grub to boot from (hd0,0) which is the default?

Hope this helps
Jay

believed to be clean.