Re: Null-Modem serial-to-USB cable

 David Kramer wrote:
> Most of these adapters use the Prolific chipset...
> One major problem with these devices, though, is that they can only
> simulate the data pins, but not the hardware handshaking pins.

Seeing as you looked into what chipset these devices use, did you go the
next step and look up the data sheet to see if the chipset supports a
controllable DTR line?

If it doesn't, then you can obviously rule out all adapters that use
that chipset. If you can determine which chipsets do support that
capability, it should be easier to find an adapter online that has a
good chance of implementing a working DTR line.

Here's an "open source" USB to RS232 adapter:
http://www.embedded-projects.net/index.php?page_id=165

I don't know if it has a working DTR line, but it ought to have adequate
documentation of the hardware to permit answering that question, and a
support community.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro