Re: bash if file exists

 On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 01:27:56PM -0400, Eric Chadbourne wrote:
> Hi all.  Help I'm having a brain freeze.  How come this doesn't work?
> Thanks.  - Eric C.
>
> if [ -a *.zip ] ;
> then
> echo "there is a zip";
> else
> echo " no zip found";
> fi

Just because you don't have *enough* different answers yet:

   set -- *.zip
   if [ -f "${1}" ] ; then
     echo "there is a zip";
   else
     echo " no zip found";
   fi

I had (basically) the same problem in one of my "why the heck isn't
this in a real language" scripts recently.

--
Matt Brodeur                                                     RHCA
[hidden email]                         http://www.nexttime.com