need to run shell script at gdm log out

 I'm looking for a way to run a shell script automatically
every time a user logs out of Gnome or attempts to shut down
the computer. Is this possible?

What I'm trying to do is to back up the users home directory
to a back up directory on a server, every time the user
initiates a shut down.

If there is no way to run the shell script so that it will
execute on gdm log out, then is it possible to create a shell
script that would rsync the users home directory to the
server, then upon successful completion of the backup, shut
down the computer? That seems like the best way to go as I
could create a shortcut to run the backup/shutdown shell
script and replace the logout/shutdown button on their Gnome
desktop.

The desktops are running Ubuntu Gutsy. Any help would be much
appreciated!

Thanks!
Mike

believed to be clean.