Re: NIS and file writing

 By default, NFS remaps root to the user "nobody" in order to minimize
security issues. The simplest workaround is to not try to write data
as root to the NFS volume.

If you're willing to risk the exposure that allowing write permission to root,
then you can set an option in the NFS server's /etc/exports to allow it;
the opetion is "no_root_squash". The syntax is as follows:

    /path/to/volume         *(rw,no_root_squash)