Re: file shredding tools

 "Ben Holland" <[hidden email]> writes:

> So then the program would basically have to keep track of how many times the
> actual file was stored as well as all locations at all times. Wouldn't this
> kinda overhead be huge? ~Ben
>
> On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 12:19 PM, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

[snip]
>     The same is true of backups....  I don't consider an offline disk
>     to be that significantly different than a backup.

Yes.  Exactly.  Which is why you need to think hard about what
it means to wipe a file.  If you really want to make sure it's
dead you should start with an encrypted partition, using something
like PGP Virtual Disk or an encrypted loopback mountpoint or something
where the data on disk is always encrypted and there is no unencrypted
data ever on disk or backup.

It all depends on your threat model.  We could spend days talking
about threat models.  Indeed, half my jobs is dealing with threat
models.  And I suspect that if I ever finished my PhD my thesis
would be on threat models..  It's just how I always think about
the problem.  *shrugs*

-derek
       [hidden email]                        PGP key available

believed to be clean.