Subject: Who needs an HDTV?
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 01:52:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: Monty Solomon <[hidden email]>
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom

TECH LAB
Who needs an HDTV?

By Hiawatha Bray  |  May 8, 2008

Given the feeble state of the economy, many of you are in no mood to
blow $1,000 or more on a high-definition TV set. But then, you
probably own one already.

It's called a computer monitor. The typical monitor can display HD
video of respectable quality - not up there with a true HDTV set, but
not bad. All you need now is a fairly robust personal computer, and a
digital TV tuner that plugs into a USB port and captures the video
signals.

We've been trying out a couple of these tuners - the $99 Hauppauge
WinTV-HVR-950Q from Hauppauge Computer Works Inc. and the $129 PCTV
HD Ultimate Stick from Pinnacle Systems, a division of Avid
Technology Inc. in Tewksbury. These are list prices, by the way; shop
around and you'll likely find them for less.

Each gadget comes with a simple antenna that'll capture both analog
and digital TV signals being broadcast over the airwaves. Both
devices are made for computers running Microsoft Corp.'s Windows
operating system. But Hauppauge and Pinnacle offer similar tuners for
Apple Inc.'s Macintosh machines.

http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2008/05/08/who_needs_an_hdtv/

--
E. William Horne