Re: PHP web clusters and session information

 I concur with Richard that the simplest method I have found is to simply
change session.save_path in your php.ini file to an NFS mount.  In my own
benchmarks, under a moderate simulated web load with hosts mounted against
the NFS share this performed much better than when trying to use a rather
simple method of storing it in a MySQL back-end (there is of course a lot
of room for optimization on the later which I did not consider at the time
as was looking for simplicity).  This seemed to peak at around 6 concurrent
web hosts against the NFS mount point, though I only had 7 physical hosts
to play with and so don't have insight into the drop-off beyond 7.  I can
probably dig out my project paper detailing the specs under this testing if
you think it might be of benefit to you.

In theory if you used iSCSI on the back-end for the shared storage with a
clustered file system (I am thinking GFS, as I don't believe OCFS is
designed to perform well with the way PHP stores the session files) you
could scale this well beyond 6 hosts without suffering any performance
degradation.

If you have the luxury of a BigIP, then you can start to do clever things
such as using embedded cookies to leverage sticky sessions in pinning
someone to a specific host in the cluster, etc.  Of course the expense of
such puts out of reach of most open source projects and hobbyists.

Best of luck!
Chris