Re: Choice of ISP

 On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 02:36:38PM -0400, Ruben Safir wrote:

> > This is true, but the cable companies do need a franchise from the
> > local community at the present time. They tried to change that a few
> > years ago, but failed.
>
> I am confused about that allows them to lay a line through the streets
> where no other companies aside from Verizon is allowed to do that?

Well, you're confused because it's not true. Outside my house there are
lines from one ILEC (VZ), two cablecos (Comcast, RCN, two fiber providers
(one of whom does not serve residential customers, the other is VZ), and
conduit that can have the rights purchased by anyone who can
make a deal with the city.

If your city or state is making bad (and/or monopolistic)
contracts on your behalf, perhaps you should get politically
active.

-dsr-

When freedom gets lots of exercise, it protects itself.

believed to be clean.