Re: AsteriskNow vs TrixBox

 On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 12:49:29PM -0500, James Kramer wrote:
> I am in the process of converting my company's phone system from PSTN to
> VOIP.  I looked at Trixbox and AsteriskNow.  I tried both of the bootable
> CDs and only AsteriskNow was able to connect to my works Windows DHCP
> server. I spoke to a VOIP provider and they told me that trixbox is a much
> better system and that I would have to do a lot of work to get AsteriskNow
> to work properly.  I like AsteriskNow.  It seems more open source to me.

A few responses:

I'm using Trixbox at work.  It took me about 6 hours to go from bare
metal to working phone system with no prior asterisk knowledge.  It has
been running for 9 months now without me having to touch it.  We have about
a dozen extensions, 2 trunks, IVR, voicemail, etc, basically all the bits
you get with asterisk.

It requires almost no asterisk knowledge, which is both its strength
and its weakness.  It was dead easy to set up and was usefully running in
no time at all, but it's basically a black box to me, so if it stopped
working, I'd be inclined to download the latest version and just reinstall
it.

We use VoicePulse as our SIP provider.  They're not too expensive and
quality has been fine.  They have a nice Trixbox plugin that configures the
SIP/IAX trunks for you as well.  (Again, less work for the admin.)

We tried several of the cheap (less than $100 variety) Budgetone phones
initially, and they sucked.  Voice quality was awful on the handset, the
speakerphone was worse, and they feel like cheap devices.  We ended up
with a mix of Linksys SPA941/2s and Polycom IP320s which came in around
$150 per handset IIRC.

-ben

--
in the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's
there are few.                                          <shunryu suzuki>

believed to be clean.