Content Delivery Networks, Amazon S3, etc.

 I am helping a startup company to build and maintain their IT infrastructure.
The core business of this company is to provide customers with
opportunity to build online multimedia albums with lots of photo and
videos.
So, it is very important to minimize website response time.
Datacenter is located in Boston and as company grows they are looking
to improve response time for customers from west coast and across the
world.

We are looking at several possible ways of doing it:

1. Build 2 additional hosting locations: one in West coast and one in
London and serve content based on customer's geolocation
2. Use Content delivery network, like Akamai
3. Use outsourced storage ( Amazon S3 ) for pictures, videos and other
large files. Amazon S3 also distributing content across multiple
datacenters providing
     decent response time from any geolocation

I really like the idea of using Amazon S3, but this service is not
really cost effective if you have a lot of traffic  (>10 TB/month)
Akamai CDN is not cheap either.

So I am curious what other small companies with limited budgets are
using in similar situations ?

Thanks,

- Eugene

believed to be clean.