Re: T1 or fractional T1 vendors in MA?

 On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 10:54:00 -0400
David Rosenstrauch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [hidden email] wrote:
> > I figure a co-op of knowledgeable people is far far more reliable than a
> > corporation of idiots.
>
> lol!  Awesome quote!  Pretty much sums up the entire open source
> movement as a whole, frankly.

No real disagreement, but. The problem in a corporate software company
is:
You have essentially a product marketing person specifying requirements
for a product. This tends to be dictated to the developers through
either a project manager of line manager. What happens is that a lot of
good ideas get lost for various reasons. One of the problems here is it
tends to be more dictatorial where a number of important views are
ignored.

In a community based product, you generally have a community of people
interacting. Normally, in FOSS there is someone who tends to be a
leader. But, ideas are retained better, and the developers tend to have
more authority at least to submit their ideas. When this breaks down,
you can get a fork.

The downside of FOSS is that while you generally get a better product
with a faster bug-fix rate, is it also gives users too many choices.

Back in the Windows 31 and Windows 95 days, there were some good
non-MSFT tools that allowed the user to chose between desktop
presentations, but those essentially disappeared to where you get 1
Windows desktop. No choices, no confusion.

In contrast in Linux and BSD we have KDE or GNOME for most everyone,
and we have many other choices of Window managers for those who prefer
it. How does a salesperson try to sell this to the average computer
user who really is very non-technical as is the sales person.

We can use the same analogy to a car. Other than big, small, blue or
silver, every car has 1 steering wheel (not a choice of a wheel, a
joystick),  a dashboard that that is essentially the same as every
other.  The auto manufacturers found that the digital dashboards were
unpopular so you simply get an analog speed dial, or a digital analog
to that. My next door neighbor hasn't a clue how to use his GPS. My
wife and I have to go to his car and set a destination.

What I'm trying to point out is that the strength of FOSS (or community
development) is choices, but this is also a weakness in the
marketplace. Better sometimes does not sell as well as mediocre.

Jerry Feldman <[hidden email]>
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846