Help with installing packages for Oracle 10g

 I am trying to install Oracle client 10g (10.2.0) on a 64-bit CentOS 5.0
system.

'rpm -q make gcc glibc etc' reveals some packages as "not installed", yet a yum
install <package name> consistently returns Nothing to do. Yum list available
<package name> yields nothing needed.

If rpm -q <list of packages> lists some that are "not installed" but every
variant of yum install and yum list I've tried and googled claiims nothing more
needs to be installed, either the OS is misreporting (I doubt that) or I'm
missing something that is not easily being revealed, or that I haven't used in
a long time and outright forgetting.

I still need (per rpm -q):

compat-gcc
compat-gcc-c++