Re: persistent xterm sessions

 Bill Ricker wrote:
> Screen can do this, provided you run it on a real host, not on the
> laptop/X-server.

Thanks for the suggestion, but the sessions I want to persist are local
shells.

Screen could still be used to pull this off, short of a local reboot,
but then there's still the issue of connecting up the various screen
sessions with the various xterms. (I want the different sessions
reflected in the GUI in some fashion - either through independent xterm
windows or tabs.)

You can name screen sessions (sockets/pipes), so again, given enough
scripting effort, this could be made to work. Whether it is worth the
effort, given it wouldn't persist across a reboot, is another matter.

On a side note, I've noticed when I use screen inside an xterm on
Ubuntu, screen breaks xterm's scrollback buffer. Doing things like
viewing a man page causes screen to "eat" the output of man such that it
disappears from the scrollback history. It appears to be treating man
like a curses app.

> On certain systems, my .profile runs 'screen -r' so
> all I need to is launch a Xterm with ssh to there...

Yeah, for remote hosts, especially servers that rarely are rebooted,
this works great, and I do likewise.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro