From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf
Of Kristian Erik Hermansen
Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 1:36 PM
To: [hidden email]
Cc: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: Boy Scout Open Source

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 9:41 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't know if I speak for anyone else, but I despise the BSA. Their
> views on homosexuality and religion seem too exclusive to me. The fact

> they went to court to institutionalize discrimination makes them
> unacceptable.

Wait, the Business Software Alliance or the Boy Scouts Association?  I
had no idea the boy scouts were anti-gay and actually fought for it in
court.  It would be more impressive if the Business Software Alliance
were anti-gay :-P  Anyway, this is all quite ridiculous.  Hasn't America
grown up to realize that even if two people are gay together that it
doesn't really affect you and that you should just learn to deal with
it?  Some jerk stands up holding a bible and yelling being "gay" is a
sin.  And the old testament also states that sacrificing virgins is
acceptable.  If you don't want gays, you must slay virgins.
 Ummmmm, yeah, this is not a well-formed argument and I will just stop
now.  But seriously, I had no idea the boy scouts were anti-gay, and now
that I know, I will never support them.

> I have friends and family that are gay and it seems against the
> principles of freedom and inclusiveness of the open source / free
> software movement to support them unless they are equally open.

One of my roommates is gay.  And I have many gay friends.  There should
be freedom of choice to be gay.  There are many gay people in the FOSS
and hacker communities.  In fact, anyone who has even sent or received
an email can thank someone who is gay.  Eric Allman, the creator of
sendmail, is openly gay.  So such organizations as the Boy Scouts should
never send or receive email if they choose not to be affiliated :-)  Of
course, our GPL licenses are not so restrictive to discriminate against
even the Boy Scouts, and that is the whole point...
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen
--

believed to be clean.