Re: Computer Room\Data Center layouts

 On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 14:35:40 -0400
Michael Webb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does anyone know of anyone of a someone in the area who can help design a
> new computer room, we are in the middle of remodeling our building and a
> new computer room is in the works.
>
> Thanks in advance for any info.

A couple of considerations. For a layout, you can use a tool (excuse my
MSFT) like Visio or Dia (http://www.gnome.org/projects/dia/).

The other 2 very important considerations are cooling and power. I
layed out an IBM mainframe datacenter back n the 1970s, but I was
involved in moving HP's Linux Expertise center and Test Drive from
Marlborough to Littleton and back to a new data center in Marlborough.

Cooling is probably the most important up-front issue. Usually building
AC is not sufficient. At HP we ran all the cables in an overhead
trough, but we had about 3500 Sq. Ft. and 3 separate networks.  Another
thing about cooling is that one of the things that usually is not
considered is having a UPS for the colling system. If you use your UPS
for graceful shutdown if power goes down for a long period of time,
then the AC does not matter, but if you have a backup generator,
keeping your systems on but not the AC is a bad thing.

Another consideration is cabling. In Marlborough, we had a big fight
with facilities over Cat 6. They wanted to run cat 5 and they claimed
we had cat 5 in Littleton (false we had cat 5E).  Make sure all the
data cables are labeled at both ends. In Marlborough we had
color coded connector boxes for the network as well as numbers so we
could match up a jack with the switch, but we were dealing with a
rather large datacenter with nearly all the systems on pallets.

Jerry Feldman <[hidden email]>
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846