Home ethernet wiring [Was: Re: Computer Room\Data Center layouts]

 Gordon Marx wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 8:51 AM, Jerry Feldman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Make sure all the data cables are labeled at both ends.
>
> YES!! *Especially* if you plan to change your network configuration.
> Tracing network cables is a big, labor-intensive, unnecessary pain in
> the ass. Also, if you're running lots of cables, DON'T MAKE THEM
> YOURSELF. Ain't nothin' worse than realizing that the monkey made the
> cables wrong.

On a related note, I've been toying with the idea of wiring most rooms in my
house with ethernet jacks (I don't like the idea of broadcasting 802.11x to my
neighbors).

Surely several people on this list have done that before.  Do you have any
advice on where to get supplies, general dos and don'ts?  Is there any reason
to use Cat6 vs. Cat5 for home use?

I have a ranch-style house, so it shouldn't be too bad to get in the walls and
such (I've already mucked with the electrical wiring a bit).  I'm thinking I'd
want jacks in the 4 bedrooms and the living room.

Thanks,
Matt

believed to be clean.