From: randy cole [mailto:[hidden email]]
Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 5:52 PM
To: Boland, John; [hidden email]
Subject: [off-topic] Re: Boy Scout Open Source

Boland, John <[hidden email]> wrote:
> they are also anti-non-christian.
> forget jews, muslims, or atheists. buddhists forget it!
>
> the bsa was infiltrated by the mormons/lds several years ago and have
> been pushing this agenda.
> I'm sure they're working on an anti-evolutionist platform also.
John,

You are incorrect - the Boy Scouts are not against non-Christian
religions.  I knew of scout troops in Newton and Worcester that were
sponsored by Jewish temples.  Materials for non-denominational religious
services have God spelled as G--, catering to Muslim sensibilities.
There aren't enough Buddhists in the area to tell what Scouting means to
them.

As for atheists, there is definitely a problem of discrimination against
atheists.

In this area, troops and packs are mostly sponsored by "A group of
citizens", Catholic churches, or Mormon churches.  Troops sponsored by
Mormon churches are generally composed of only Mormons. Troops sponsored
by Jewish temples are primarily but not exclusively Jewish.  Troops
sponsored by Catholic churches are open to all.  I believe troops and
packs should be open to boys in their communities regardless of
religion.

Randy

believed to be clean.