Re: Home ethernet wiring [Was: Re: Computer Room\Data Center layouts]

 On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 09:32:11AM -0400, Matthew Gillen wrote:
> On a related note, I've been toying with the idea of wiring most rooms in
> my house with ethernet jacks (I don't like the idea of broadcasting 802.11x
> to my neighbors).
>
> Surely several people on this list have done that before.  Do you have any
> advice on where to get supplies, general dos and don'ts?  Is there any
> reason to use Cat6 vs. Cat5 for home use?

You generally want to use the best cable you can afford, since
you won't want to re-do the wiring five years from now when
every $250 laptop has 10Gb ethernet has a standard feature.

> I have a ranch-style house, so it shouldn't be too bad to get in the walls
> and such (I've already mucked with the electrical wiring a bit).  I'm
> thinking I'd want jacks in the 4 bedrooms and the living room.

I would wall-mount a switch in the basement or the attic and run
to every room in the house, save perhaps bathrooms. Since every
data format eventually ends up encapsulated by IP...

If you buy a more expensive managed switch, you can run VLANs,
tap your kids' machines, and do multipath connections to another
switch. On the other hand, a cheap gigabit switch can just be
replaced by a cheap 10 gigabit switch in a few years...

-dsr-

When freedom gets lots of exercise, it protects itself.

believed to be clean.