Re: Home ethernet wiring [Was: Re: Computer Room\Data Center layouts]

 It totally depends on the outlay of your house. Most places around here
including microcenter and even radioshak have these awesome face plates that
take in snap connectors. These snap connectors range from being Ethernet,
telephone, and coax jacks, plug em into the face plate and watch it go. This
means that you can basically take off the faceplate of say, a telephone
connector in any room and just run wire where the phone wire goes, and just
have 2 jacks in 1 faceplate. It's very nice.  Best part is they are cheap.
About making your own cat5, it REALLY depends on how much you need and how
much you trust yourself, if you have even 100 feet, its almost worth it to
get a spindle of 500 with a crimper. Don't cheap out though, get good
connectors, and test each wire you make, after the first 3 or so you will be
an expert at making them yourself and save a bundle.

If you have ever run wire ever it's going to be much the same, with the 2
houses i've wired up i've found that most of the time it's an up then down
approach. Go through the attic if you have one, then feed it down to the
basement but this is extremely dependent on the outlay of your house.

Good luck! ~Ben