Re: Email client

 Jerry Feldman wrote:
> Every once in a while I look around for a new email client.
> My email format is a hierarchical directory of MH folders.
> ...converting to Evolution was a big deal because I would have had to
> import each folder explicitly.

The first thing I'd recommend is accessing your local mail store through
an IMAP server. It's the closest thing we have to a universal API
between email clients and message storage.

I'd look at Dovecot[1], which is small, fairly easy to set up, secure,
and efficient. It should also support your MH hierarchy with little to
no conversion. (Dovecot supports a few storage formats, including
maildir[2]. See the "Procmail Problems" section at the bottom of the
page where it says, "Maildir format is somewhat compatible with MH format.")

1. http://www.dovecot.org/
2. http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailboxFormat/Maildir

> I also use procmail for filtering before the email gets into claws.

You could continue using procmail, or try using the Dovecot local
delivery agent (LDA) with the Sieve plugin[3]. I haven't tried it yet,
but in theory it lets you manipulate your filtering rules from within
your mail client (if your client supports Sieve, of course). The Sieve
language should hurt your brain less than the procmail syntax. :-)

3. http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Sieve

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro