Rant: graphical terminal based vim vs IDE

 How many of use use the UNIX shell on a tty console? I would venture to
guess that most vi/vim usage is done in an xterm window in an X session.

What kind of frustrates me is gvim vs vim. To me, the development
environment *is* the desktop. I don't need eclipse or some other IDE
creating a second "desktop metaphor" within my desktop metaphor.

Think about it, why do we need windows and tool bars within an application
running in an environment that already has menus and toolbars?

The bash shell does a lot. The KDE/Gnome/etc. desktop window managers work
well. There is no real reason why we need an application like an IDE that
provides basically the same functionality of the desktop only less
flexibly and in a way thats different than the desktop of our choosing.

I like the process of:

vi source.file
>>>edit save>>>
make

The only thing I would really like is to have the "mouseability" of gvim
within the konsole or xterm window. Normally I think of the mouse as a
distraction to real work, but it does provide easier and more flexible
selection for copy, and a more visually precise cursor positioning.

OK, that's my Linux rant.

believed to be clean.