meeting idea: an introduction to Open Source

 Jerry Feldman wrote:
> I would like to see a real world presentation targeted at both the
> small business owner who certainly can save a lot of money by
> switching to OpenSource software, but also to the end desktop user.

I was thinking that BLU could hold a few meetings of the type you
describe in conjunction with area chambers of commerce. They would
provide an obvious channel for "marketing" such a meeting to small
business users.

(In the same vein as this, I think we should do some intro
presentations/installfests for area high schools.)

We've had presentations of this sort at BLU in the past, though they've
been more narrow in scope, like "FOSS Enterprise Security Tools" by
Joseph Guarino[1].

1. http://www.blu.org/cgi-bin/calendar/2008-jan

On the less hands-on/practical side of things, I've mentioned to John
Abreau the idea of getting Doc Searls to speak for BLU, now that he
lives in the area. I've been meaning to email Doc to propose it, but I'm
not sure what topic to suggest. He doesn't seem to be promoting or
focusing on any particular thing these days. He's covered a wide range
of topics on his blog[2]. Suggestions?

2. http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/doc/

He'd make a good panelist, but I agree with Jerry that such a meeting
would be serving more of an insider audience. If you want to do an intro
for end-users, better to get expert end-users, consultants, etc. for that.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA