Re: "no server" rule

 On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 12:00:17 -0400
Matthew Gillen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That's a good question.  Comcast has essentially the same clause in their TOS,
> although they at least claim that they'll make "reasonable effort" to notify
> users.  Not that they actually /do/, I'm fairly certain that there wasn't a
> "no server rule" when I initially signed up, and in four years I've never
> received a message from comcast (via email, snail mail, or phone) that they
> were changing my TOS.

When I signed up, well over 10 years ago (Continental Cablevision -
Highway1) the written agreement stated "no servers". I was running an
internal network at home using thin wire ethernet. The bottom line is
they have always had this type of policy. I have heard that they have
cut some customers off.  I stopped running my own web server because of
Code Red,, not because it was a problem for Apache, but that it was
causing so many hits that I simply cut it off on my firewall. I started
to block port 25 in my firewall mainly because of SPAM. I let Comcast
and Gmail do some filtering.

Essentially, we have 3 main choices for high speed (1Mbps+) residential
services, Comcast, Verizon, or RCN. Other services, like Speakeasy use
someone else's hardware, but if you want cable (Comcast is 6Mbps/1Mbps)
or fibre (Verizon FIOS is 20Mbps/5bps - max).  In general no one else
is going to bring a wire to your house in most communities. There has
been talk in some communities to bring fibre to every home. I've
actually heard the Waltham City manager say that a number of years ago.

Jerry Feldman <[hidden email]>
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846