Re: USB 2.0 boot on 15" PowerPC Aluminum Powerbook (Model 5,6)

 > My problem: I'm trying to install Leopard on my friend's laptop,
> except her
> built-in DVD-ROM drive does not read discs any longer. A bit of
> research

find another mac. start the powerbook in firewire target disk mode by
holding down 'T' while powering it on. connect the two macs together
with a firewire cable. the powerbook's hard drive will show up on the
other mac. you can then install os x as if the powerbook was an
external hard drive of the other mac.

some more instructions:

http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2005/05/the_cats_mustaches_installing.html
http://lowendmac.com/misc/06/0710.html