Re: Running from External Disk: trackpad question

 Jarod Wilson wrote:
> I've tried the circular scrolling, can't stand it myself.

It took quite a few tweaks and restarts of X before I got working
nicely.  The trackpad is pretty small, so I only do the scroll if my
finger starts in the very top of the circle.  That way I don't
accidentally start scrolling when doing other things.  And I only scroll
up/down--the usually more useful directions.

Speaking of doing things accidentally, I can't figure out why anyone
likes trackpad tapping to do a click.  I have a theory that many people
dislike trackpads not because of the trackpad itself but because of the
tapping.  But they think the tapping is cool, so they don't want to be
without it.  And how far away is the mouse button anyway?  Where is the
win??

For me I am always triggering the tap accidentally.  Either when I am
mousing fast or when my thumb is a little too close when typing.  Does
everyone mouse really slowly and mangle their thumbs out of the way to
not every get false taps?  No wonder so many people prefer mouse sticks
or carry around real mice.

> I'm partial to two-finger dragging to scroll.

Two finger on my wife's Macbook is nice, but my W4 doesn't support it
(and would be too small).  However, I can still crank a lot of distance
with the circular scroll where a two finger scroll is limited (and when
you backup to scroll more you risk being thought to have tapped).  The
Mac is better about not doing detecting taps than any PC hardware I have
used (Steve's iron hand in product design and engineering has real
benefits).  I admit I am not sure I have had false taps, though I don't
use her computer much (it is her computer, I don't want any suspicion
cast my way for any problem).

-kb

believed to be clean.