Re: Desktop PCs with Linux or no OS installed

 I have on occasion priced computers from vendors offering Linux pre-installed on their systems. In the past it has been an issue of having to find a quirky company who's volume of sales compared to a major vendor (e.g. Dell, Gateway, HP, et al.) was so much lower that they could not compete on price (even without a MS tax) due to the economy of scale.

Now that Linux is becoming more popular, and even some of the heavy hitters are offering Linux options out of the box, you may have more and better options.

However, just for the fun of it I priced out a complete build if I were to do it from scratch, recently. I was pleased to find that from about $500 to $750 I could put together a very decent system. And I would get the piece of mind knowing that it contains only the high-quality components that I want.. as opposed to whomever bid the lowest to supply the power source, motherboard, etc that week.

I guess the bottom line is, if you are a technically inclined person, I would recommend that you build it yourself. You won't save more than about 15% probably buying from a vendor, and at least with the fruits of your own labor, you can have the thing exactly the way you want it.

(Typing this on a custom build I made for my aunt, whom I am visiting, a few years ago, and its still going strong!)

 Jerry Feldman-2 wrote