Re: OLPC XO PC

 On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 4:17 AM, John Chambers <[hidden email]> wrote:
> In particular, the mesh idea seems like it should be useful, but it's
> not  very  useful  if  your  mesh has only one computer.  I wonder if
> there's a way to build something like a VPN tunnel to connect several
> meshes  that are some distance apart.  (We got a second one, but it's
> in the hands of a grandson out in San Diego.  It'd be nice if the two
> OLPCs could collaborate on something ...  ;-)

Actually, the solution is to not use VPNs, but instead to switch to
using server based networking.    Mesh networking is builtin in so if
you don't have infrastructure things still work, this doesn't mean
that infrastructure isn't useful (better).  This page is a good place
to start:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Jabber_server

If you don't want to run your own (private) server, there are some
public servers set up for this.  The OLPC_Boston user group page:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Boston

has info about a public New England servers.

Have fun,
Bill Bogstad

believed to be clean.