Re: KDE4 vs. GNOME (please no religion :-)

 Jerry Feldman wrote:
> What I would like to see is a non-religious, objective discussion of
> various features of GNOME and KDE.

What I'd like to see is a wiki page or two with a table showing a
side-by-side comparison of features with screen shots. I wouldn't be
surprised if such a thing existed already...

Lets see, this page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNOME

linked to:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_X_Window_System_desktop_environments

But it is broader in scope than just KDE vs. GNOME, and doesn't cover
those in enough depth to make a good decision. In fact for some of its
comparison tables it groups KDE and GNOME together due to them being so
similar relative to the other desktops.

A Google of the obvious terms turns up these articles in the first page
of results:

Linus versus GNOME
[A summary of comments made by Linus Torvalds about GNOME.]

KDE vs Gnome, What is the better desktop environment?
http://linuxreviews.org/software/desktops/

KDE vs. GNOME: A Screed from a Supposed Corporate Flack
http://opsamericas.com/?p=739

KDE vs. Gnome: Which is better for you?
http://digg.com/linux_unix/KDE_vs_Gnome_Which_is_better_for_you
[Has some discussion you may find of interest.]

That Digg page has a broken link, and probably should go here:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/kdegnome

That last link comes the closest to a side-by-side comparison with
screen shots, though it only covers a dozen or so features - mostly
superficial differences.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro