LVM questions

 I currently have a system where the root file system is part of a
volume group. What I would like to do is to create the root, boot, and
swap file system as a separate physical volume. /boot would normally be
an ext3.

Here is what I would like to do. I currently have a system where root
is part of the LVM. I would like to build RHEL 4 U6 on a separate
physical volume containing boot and root. I would then like to be able
to attach the existing LVM volumes to it.

Example:
1. Unused 73GB drive - create new OS
2. 3  73GB drives currently containing /boot - ext3, Logical Volume 01
for root, and Logical Volume 02 for swap.

Currently this particular system is used for backups. The questions are:
1. When I do a clean install of RHEL 4U6 on the new volume, can I
access the existing LVM volumes.
        Since this is a backup server, I certainly can blow everything
        away if I need to.

2. On another system I have an LVM with 2 volume groups. One of the
things I have to do immediately is to take 1 physical volume off line
(the system  is reporting it as a future failure), and replace it with
a new volume. That is not really a problem as I know how to do it. But,
what I would like to do is something similar to 1, above because this
system is currently our primary server and I have 6 73GB drives with
root as a separate logical volume, but the physical volumes consist of
5 drives, and 1 drive respectively. This is our primary NFS server. We
certainly backup some of the directories on this nightly, such as home
and cvs, but other directories can be easily copied from our home
office. So, in this particular case, it's probably more important that
we have the root and boot on a separate volume. What I would like to be
able to do is to clone the build from step 1 (changing the host name
and a few other parameters) so I can impact work minimally.
(Note: I can only do this during normal business hours since we are in
a Regus business center and the server room is locked after hours).

Jerry Feldman <[hidden email]>
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846