RE: Pirating Ubuntu?

 it would be interesting to see how many units they sell and/or install.

-----Original Message-----
From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf
Of Seth Gordon
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2008 12:22 PM
To: BLU Discussion List
Subject: Re: Pirating Ubuntu?

Boland, John wrote:
> the worst part is that bestbuy is selling the disc for $20 and for an
> additional $130 their geek squad folks will install it!

This makes perfect sense to me.

Think about it: if a complete stranger wants you to install Linux on
their machine and is willing to pay you for your time, you should either
install it for free (because you're a nice guy or because you want to
promote Linux or whatever), or you should charge whatever your
professional time is worth.  And of course if you're running Best Buy
and you're contracting out people to do the job, you have your own
overhead and profit margin to put on top of that.

And on the demand side, if a technically unskilled customer with more
money than time wants to install Linux, they're not going to be
comparing that $150 with the cost of the raw bits; they're going to be
comparing it with the cost of alternatives.  A Windows Vista upgrade CD
costs between $85 and $200, depending on what flavor of Windows you're
getting, and that's *not* counting the cost of installing it.

NOTICE: The information contained in this electronic mail message is confidential and intended only for certain recipients.  If you are not an intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other use of this communication and any attachments is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender by reply transmission and delete the message without copying or disclosing it.