Opening port 22

I'm stumped.  Usually I can get ssh and scp and rsync working in both
directions between my laptop and desktop on my local network.

I had to do a fresh install of Ubunty Hardy Heron on the laptop,
because the upgrade was problematic in a number of ways.

So I expected to have to redo the ssh keys, and install ssh server on
the laptop, which I have now done.

Everything works from the laptop to the desktop, but when I try to scp
or ssh from the desktop to the laptop, I get:

  ssh: connect to host recorder port 22: Connection refused

I hadn't done anything with the firewall on the laptop, but I have
tried turning it off (/etc/init.d/ufw stop), and that doesn't help.
I've also restarted ssh several times.

Any ideas?  I'm taking off for my mother's, so I do need to copy a
bunch of stuff onto the laptop so that I'll be able to use it to get
some work done there.  And it really is easier to do it from the
desktop to the laptop than vice versa.

--
Laura   (mailto:[hidden email] http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097 233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

Mom got to be quite a rabid fan, though...Everything I did was
sensational as far as she was concerned.  Now my father, as far as
*he* was concerned I never got a hit.  If I got a single, my mother
would scream, "Willie's hit a triple."  And Pop would say, "Ach, the
guy should have caught it."

Willie Kamm, quoted in "The Glory of their Times" by Lawrence S. Ritter

believed to be clean.