Re: Linux on the desktop - it's come a long way, but is it there yet?

 Rich,

I think you raise some valid points, but I also think that some of the
information you've presented is either incorrect or reflects
unrealistic expectations.

Remember that Microsoft is a near monopoly, and that hardware vendors
code drivers that work to Microsoft's specifications before they
release a product.  With Linux, some vendors do this, but many simply
still don't care about the Linux platform, leaving the job to be done
by the thousands of developers who volunteer their free time to do so.
Naturally, they can't do it until they can actually get their hands on
a particular device; for this reason, Linux will *ALWAYS* be behind
Windows in terms of hardware support, and there's quite literally
nothing the Linux community can do about this, save one: GROW.  If
there are enough of us, eventually the hardware vendors will have to
support us, or lose business to their competition.

To address some specific points:

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 12:25:00PM -0400, Rich Braun wrote:
> My point is this:  display setup is controlled from exactly one menu
> in Windows (accessible two different ways, control panel or
> right-click anywhere in the background),

This is, quite simply, not true (at least not universally).  If you
use any modern, reasonable graphics card (i.e. ATI or NVidia, and
probably others), they have their own applications to manage display
settings.  *SOME* of that functionality is integrated into Windows
display manager, and a lot of it is not.  Most of it is accessible
from a third place you didn't mention: the proprietary display
manager's icon in the notification area of the task bar.  Some may
require you to launch an application from the menus, depending on the
specific hardware you've bought, and what software the vendor decided
to ship with it.

> 5)
> If I activate certain of the screen-"savers", the motherboard eats
> 30 watts (!) of additional electricity in order to perform the 3D
> calculations.  (Maybe they need an Energy Un-star icon next to these
> selections. ;-)

High-performance 3D graphics make your system work harder.  This is no
less true in Windows than it is in Linux, and should be common sense
to experienced users.  Microsoft just doesn't have those fancy screen
savers.  :)  If you don't want to use the extra power, the simple
solution is just don't use those screen savers...

Also, while I admit I've seen problems with screen savers in the past,
I haven't for *years* -- though I've been using well-supported NVidia
cards almost exclusively.  I have never seen the specific issue you
raised about the screen saver (apparently) not actually engaging...
The power saving features are quite likely not available because
you're using hardware that isn't well supported. See above about
hardware support. :)

I can't say what is causing your issues with the screen savers; I can
only say that I have not encountered any similar problems for a very
long time -- not personally, and not in my role as a Linux support
person.

[...]
> different vintages that we use to cobble together systems;

Experienced users who do this should a) be able to figure out how to
deal with these issues, and b) expect that they may have issues if
they go this route.  Even in the Windows world, my understanding is
that Microsoft has chosen not to include support for a wide array of
old hardware, and most vendors haven't released updated drivers to run
old hardware on Windows XP either.  I had such a problem with an old
scanner I bought, which ironically enough does actually work in Linux
(on Fedora). :D

> or as neophyte users, they simply won't be looking up any
> cross-reference sheet before buying a system.

You're right, they won't.  They also probably won't run into any of
the issues you talk about, because their needs are much simpler than
what you're describing, and because common commodity hardware tends to
be very well supported.

> Sure, what I'll wind up doing is going into my xorg.conf file
> whenever I have a whole day to deal with it and get the X settings
> set up precisely how they need to be, and then figure out which apps
> break things so I can tweak them as well--but this is 2008, why is
> this even necessary?

I run dual monitors... just the other day I had to deal with this on
my laptop.  The NVidia drivers include a configuration utility very
similar to the one they ship with Windows...  I used it to configure
my laptop to use the external VGA monitor (a Dell 24" wide-screen LCD)
as the primary display, and the laptop's built-in display as
secondary.  It was fast, simple, and painless.  Bottom line: it just
worked.

I have not tried to rotate any of my monitors... I actually am
interested in doing this (at work, not home), but haven't had a chance
to look into doing it.  I have some hope that it may turn out to be
just as simple as the above, but until very recently the software I
was running was too old to support the feature (I believe).

> I'm challenging y'all to look at this from the eyes of the neophyte
> and imagine sending a box of PC parts and a URL to your grandmother

Neophytes don't use boxes of PC parts.  They go to BestBuy and buy an
HP.  If you install Linux on such a box, virtually everything a
neophyte will want to do will "just work" -- web browsing, e-mail,
word processing, sound, etc.  It will even have nice quick-launch
icons in the "task bar" -- just like Windows does.  There will be a
few exceptions; some proprietary media types are still not supported
well on Linux.  Apps like xine and vlc can play most of them, but with
varying degrees of success.  Linux can hardly be blamed here; it's the
proprietary vendors who are to blame for not releasing specs (or just
supporting Linux directly).  There's a limit to what the OSS community
can do, in an ever-changing landscape of technologies.

Your points about hardware support are basically right; but unless you
go to the store looking for the latest and greatest hardware, or try
to cobble a system together from parts laying around, I just don't
think the average user is going to run into any of the issues you're
complaining about...  For the *average* user, I think Linux very much
IS ready for the desktop.

And, while I'm not a neophyte, the bottom line for me is that Linux is
just a lot more reliable and far less annoying than Windows.  I use
Windows regularly, but almost exclusively to play games.  Whenever I
want to get any real work done, I reboot into Linux (or use a
different system that is already booted into Linux).

-=-=-=-=-