Re: financial software

 Rich Braun wrote:
> Yeah, I looked at Gnu cash a couple years ago.

I'll repeat my earlier recommendation for Moneydance. It isn't open
source, isn't perfect, but it is cross-platform, seems fairly capable,
has a polished UI, and has a small team of developers working on it and
supporting it through a mailing list. Unless you plan to hack the code
yourself, the experience might not be all that different from using an
open source tool.

But Moneydance might be a tad light weight as a Quickbooks replacement.
Moneydance is aimed at replacing Quicken/Money.

> Give Gnu cash another decade or so before enough of the online
> services stabilize to make an open-source tool as useful as one of
> the proprietary ones...

True. There are a few open formats for financial data, but of course
Intuit does whatever it can to force banks to use their proprietary
formats and protocols. I see discussion on the Moneydance list of banks
that have "upgraded" to Intuit's latest protocols, and now no longer
support Moneydance.

The best recourse is to exert what pressure you can on your bank to
change by switching to another bank that does support open formats and
letting your old bank know why you switched.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA